Hyperemesis Gravidarum
hy·per·em·e·sis
/hīpəˈreməsəs/
noun
MEDICINE
- severe or prolonged vomiting."the clinical practicability is limited by a higher degree of side effects, especially hyperemesis"
- persistent severe vomiting leading to weight loss and dehydration, as a condition occurring during pregnancy.noun: hyperemesis gravidarum
- This was a term that I had heard in nursing school but never paid much attention to it. Shortly after my first appointment I started vomiting, and vomiting, and vomiting some more. It was not morning sickness, it was all day every day sickness. At one point I was so tired of vomiting that I went to Urgent Care to get something to stop it. Urgent Care tested my urine and came in and said we need you to go to the ER because you are showing severe signs of dehydration and you have protein and ketones in your urine which are not good in pregnancy. I came home, told Matt, called my cousin to see how busy her ER was (she manages Harper) and headed up there.
- Sure enough, severe dehydration. I sat in the busy ER next to a woman receiving news she just miscarried while OB came in to check me and say everything looked good with the pregnancy but I for sure had hyperemesis and would have to be treated for it. I felt horrible for the woman having to hear this news about her baby but threw the curtain could probably hear that I was having a viable pregnancy.
- The nurses were short staffed. It took 4 of them to finally get an IV that worked in me since I was so dehydrated. Received a bunch of fluids and meds and they sent me on my way with follow-up to my OB.
- I called my OB and explained that I was in the ER and that they wanted me to follow-up with them and the medical assistant said she would have the nurse or doctor call me back.....
- 4 days later I received a call. I was able to get in and see a different OB and she was shocked that the office had not put me on anything up until this point with my weight loss and significant vomiting. She prescribed a cocktail for me and sent me on my way until my next appointment that would be coming up in 2 weeks.
Comments
Post a Comment