First OB switch

Being in healthcare it is often difficult to be a patient.  I took my husband to my 2nd OB appointment because we were going to have a dating ultrasound.  We sat in the lobby for well over an hour waiting to be called back.  We got called into a room eventually, I gave my urine sample which confirmed I was still pregnant.  Dr. Kmak came into the room and said, "What brings you in today?"

My husband just looked at me.  I told him that he instructed me at my last visit to come back in 4 weeks for ultrasound, genetics, and gender bloodwork.  He said lets go to the back and get it done then.  We followed him and he went to take us into the ultrasound room and there was a young teenager and her mother in there waiting to get blood drawn.  He grabbed them and put them in a supply room and put us in the ultrasound room without even cleaning anything.  I grabbed the sanitizer and sanitized the bed before getting onto it.  He slapped on the jelly and put the ultrasound probe on.  Little baby looked like a baby now and not a little birdie.  You could hear the heartbeat and Dr. K goes well baby isn't moving so I cannot get a good picture.  My husband goes what do you mean the baby is not moving?  I knew that the doctor meant the fetus was not in a good position to get a good picture but a non medical person does not know that.  He then replied to my husband, "Well it is not very cooperative but there's a heartbeat so it is a viable pregnancy.  You know you can see Dr. Alfieri since you have seen her before, I was just the first doctor with an open appointment".  Well okay then, sounds like you do not want to be my physician.  It had me thinking, is this lack of bedside manner the reason why he was the doctor with open appointments when I found out I was pregnant.

He walked out and left us in the ultrasound room waiting to get blood drawn.  Another doctor came in and wanted to use the room so we went out to the waiting room.  As I was making my next appointment the lab girls came and got us and took us to the back.  When we got back there they said it was too crowded for both my husband and myself and told him to wait in the hallway. 

Everything about this appointment was unorganized and I did not feel comfortable at all.  If it was like this for appointments how would delivery go?    

I made my appointment and then called back a week later and switched to the female.  That really did not go any better.  

I received a referral for another OB from a labor and delivery nurse at the hospital I wanted to deliver at and sent over my information and waited for them to accept me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperemesis Gravidarum

First Doctors Appointment